Law of persons and family law

Family problems and conflicts generally have far-reaching consequences for those involved. These consequences not only concern the law, but are also of a personal and human nature. To prevent long-term damage from being done in both legal and personal terms, it is extremely important that those involved in problems or conflicts to do with family law are given expert assistance and advice. One should not lose sight of the person behind the client, and quality must not take second place to efficiency. The client has the right to expect that his or her problem will receive the personal attention it deserves.

M.M. Strengers LL.M
Family law specialist/mediator
Affiliated to the vFAS and registered NMI mediator

M.M. Strengers LL.M (Monsé) was born in 1971. She studied Dutch law at the University of Utrecht, specializing in private and criminal legal practice. Since 1995 she has worked in the legal services sector, qualifying as a lawyer in 1997 and specializing in the law of persons and family law. She is a member of the Dutch Association of Family Lawyers and Divorce Mediators (vFAS) and a registered NMI mediator. Since 1987 Mrs Strengers has been actively involved in a number of committees of various tennis associations, both as chairman and committee member, and is also a member of the supervisory committee of the Overberg location of the Heuvelrug youth custodial institution.

Contact Mrs Strengers

The vFAS has strict admission requirements. Only lawyers who have successfully completed the specialist legal training course in family law and have been registered as a lawyer for at least four years may become a member of the vFAS. Lawyers who also successfully complete the Divorce Mediator specialist training course can be registered as a divorce mediator with the vFAS. Lawyers who wish to retain their membership are also subject to strict requirements, such the obligation of continual further training. Because of this, you can be assured of high-quality service from a vFAS member.

Law of Persons and Family Law
Mrs Strengers can assist you as a lawyer or mediator in all legal matters relating to the law of persons and family law, such as:

  • divorce
  • divorce covenants
  • matters concerning minors, such as custody, contact arrangements, family supervision orders, custodial placements
  • descent
  • maintenance matters
  • equalization of pension entitlements
  • adoption and step-parent adoption
  • acknowledgement/denial of paternity
  • administration, mentorship and guardianship
  • division of an estate (e.g. household effects, insurance policies, bank accounts, businesses etc.)
  • prenuptial and postnuptial agreements (incl. settlement)
  • tax aspects of matters relating to the law of persons and family law
  • inheritance matters
  • change of name

Where necessary Mrs Strengers works together with expert advisers in the area of tax law, valuations and assessments (e.g. the valuation of a business), pensions, life assurance policies, international private law, etc.

In response to the many requests we have received, provisionally during the months of May and June 2007 on Wednesdays from 6 pm to 7 pm you have the opportunity to have a short introductory conversation with Mrs Strengers free of charge and without obligation. If you wish to take up this opportunity, please telephone Mrs Th.M.C. (Dorine) Six during office hours on 035 601 50 80 or submit your request using the online request form.

Mediation means solving a conflict together with the assistance of a neutral expert mediator. Mediation is voluntary and is therefore a choice you make yourself. The most important requirements for mediation are that you are willing to negotiate, and that there is room for negotiation. In some cases it is advisable to choose another method of solving disputes. The mediation self-test can help you to assess whether it would be useful to consider solving your conflict by means of mediation.

In her mediation work Mrs Strengers uses the vFAS mediation agreement and follows the vFAS code of conduct.

The following leaflets (in Dutch) on mediation are available from the vFAS on request.

  • Scheiden zonder ruzie, kan dat? [Divorce without arguments: is that possible?]
  • Samen uit elkaar. Scheidingsbemiddeling. [Separating together. Divorce mediation.]
  • Echtscheiding. Dat regelt u met een vFAS-advocaat of bemiddelaar. [Divorce. Arrange it with a vFAS lawyer or mediator.]

There are numerous publications on mediation, including the following publications (in Dutch):

  • Samen uit elkaar, scheidingservaringen, scheidingsbemiddeling, scheidingsinformatie van de Vereniging van Familierecht Advocaten en –Scheidingsbemiddelaars [Separating together, divorce experiences, divorce mediation, divorce information from the Association of Family Lawyers and Divorce Mediators],ISBN 90-215-9659-8;
  • Kind in bemiddeling [The child in mediation],Cees van Leuven, Annelies Hendriks, ISBN 90 313 3948 2;
  • Scheidingsbemiddeling; over techniek, strategie en attitude [Divorce mediation; about technique, strategy and attitude]. Donald MacGillavry, ISBN 90 3133 948 2

Is mediation potentially a suitable method to solve my conflict? Do the mediation self-test here.

If you would like Mrs Strengers to act for you as a mediator, please make your request using the online request form.

Links: (Association of Family Lawyers and Divorce Mediators) (Netherlands Mediation Institute) (Ministry of Justice) (site for the judicial system and the Supreme Court) (under the responsibility of KSU) (Child Care and Protection Board) (parental contact arrangements and family mediation) (Consumer Credit Counselling Service) (National Maintenance Collection Agency) (Legal Aid Council) (Netherlands Bar Association) (summary of the treaties drawn up through this conference in the area of international private law, including the law of persons and family law) (training institute of the vFAS)